How can I help make sure my kids get their homework done?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
Make sure your child has an organized, quiet work area in a low-traffic area. Keep younger siblings occupied elsewhere and suggest that cell phones, computers, and other electronic devices be turned off or set aside during homework time. But don’t force this issue too much. If your child turns out to be one of those kids (and there are plenty of them) who can do homework while texting, IMing, watching TV, and listening to his i-Pod all at the same time, let him alone—as long as he keeps his grades up.

Encourage your child to write down homework assignments every day. Some schools now post assignments on their website, which helps students and parents understand what’s expected, and when.
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Having a conducive study area and a set schedule for homework, without external interferences/temptations, such as TV, video games, or telephones is a great start.

If they get stuck, offer to help them to the best of your ability. If they're asking questions, it means they're trying!

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Sex Talk—It Works
The Sex Talk—It Works
When Cut Video recorded young kids and their parents having the birds-and-bees talk, 10,000,000 folks went to YouTube to see Moms and Dads struggling ...
Why should I encourage my child to talk about his dreams?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
In many traditions, communities come together and share their dreams with each other. If you sta...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Is Social Media the Solution to Improve Healthcare?