Will a part-time job hurt my teen's performance in school?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
Students who work a reasonable amount (10-15 hours a week during the school year) actually earn higher grades than those who don’t work at all.

Teens working 20 hours or more suffer a definite drop in academic achievement, which is not something your son should aspire to in the years leading up to the college admissions grind. At the same time, students who work too many hours may miss out on the sports, activities, and just plain socializing that make for a well-rounded person.

Continue Learning about Parenting

4 Strategies to Make Surgery Easier for Your Child
Surgery can scare the heck out of kids, just as it can scare adults. These four strategies can reduce fear and ease the journey for both you and your ...
How can I help my child focus her energy?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Children are often full of wonder about the universe, planets, and deep space. You can tap into ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Rob Lowe Opens Up About Fatherhood
Rob Lowe Opens Up About Fatherhood