How can I solve the sibling battles?

Michele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover to reduce your kids bickering and learn to solve their problems without you.

One of the best ways to reduce sibling battles is by removing yourself as mediator, negotiator or problem solver.

1. Teach your kids how to solve conflicts and then expect them to work things out on their own.
   2. Let each sibling tell the story. After they've calmed down, ask each kid to take turns explaining their view of what happened.
   3. Set talking rules: "Each of you will have a turn to speak but you must really listen. No interrupting is allowed." If you don't understand, ask for clarification: "Could you explain that to me again?" When the sibling is finished, briefly restate her view to show you do understand. "Now I want to hear your brother's side."
   4. Encourage cooperation. The next time you observe your children sharing or playing cooperatively, let them know you are proud of their behavior. If the children know you appreciate their efforts, they are more inclined to repeat them.

You can find more behavior makeover tips in the book, No More Misbehavin.' Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Parental Negativity Can Cause Childhood Obesity
President Richard Nixon’s VP, Spiro Agnew, called investigative journalists “nattering nabobs of negativism.” But it was the VP who showed up in the n...
How can I help my kids make new friends?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Here are a few tips on helping your children develop their friendship skills. As young as age four...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How a Dye-Free Diet Improved One Child’s Behavior