How can I show my children respect?

Lynne Kenney
Consider when and how you live the following signs of respect in your relationships with your children:

1. Be a good listener. Give your children your undivided attention when they are speaking to you.

2. Be fair. Consider your child’s viewpoint and experience before stating your opinion.

3. Be honest. Tell the truth. Be accountable when you make a mistake.

4. Be polite. Use the manners that you expect of your children.

5. Be positive. Focus on the positive side of life. Your children deserve a role model who “lifts them up.”
Compliment your children; observe what they do well and celebrate it.

6. Be reliable. Keep your promises. Show your child that you mean what you say and act on what you say. Children see the truth through a clearer lens than adults.

7. Be trustworthy. Keep your children’s personal feelings and experiences private. Show them that you can be trusted to care about their feelings and their self-esteem.

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine
I can show my children respect by being a good listener and consistent in the way I communicate honor, love, fairness, honesty, trustworthiness, promises, politeness and positivity to them.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Talking To Your Kids About Drugs and Alcohol
Shocking fact of the week: More than 24.6 million people in the United States are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. That’s about 1 in every 10 America...
What steps can I take to reduce my kids' greediness?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Have you noticed that we seem to have a lot of greedy kids these days? If so, you’re not alone. The ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Do You Use Social Media for Better Health?