How can I make an activity list for my kids?

Lynne Kenney
First, tell your child that you’re making an activities list for them so that they never have to be bored doing the same old thing. Invite them to help you make a list. This part, by itself, can be lots of fun. See how far their imaginations can go when they have a secure structure in which to roam - in this case, the pleasure of working on something positive with Mom, Dad, Step-Dad or Auntie. Try to come up with 30 activities, but feel free to add more. As always, I think inviting your children to color or decorate will really help everyone’s buy-in, including yours.

Now you should have a nice, long, colorful list. Put it up somewhere like the kitchen, den or your child’s bedroom door. The next time your children are stuck, bored or arguing, you’ll have a very handy tool to help them change their focus and move on to something constructive and fun.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Seven Steps to Raising a Lifelong Learner
Encouraging a love of learning is one of the greatest gifts you can give your children. Although your level of involvement will change often -- someti...
How can I reward my child when he achieves a goal?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Nothing is more affirming to children than succeeding at goals they've worked hard to achieve. I...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Can I Discuss Difficult Topics with My Child?