How can I know if I'm guilty of helicopter parenting?

Helicopter parenting is the term given to mothers and fathers who hover around their children and intervene in their lives at a level that is inappropriate to a child’s level of development. Knowing how much independence to allow is not always an easy task. Parents should gradually allow their children appropriate space to do things on their own, increasing the level of freedom when things go well.

"If you’ve been doing everything and then all of a sudden you give the child significant responsibilities, the child might not fully understand the ramifications," says Frederick Frankel, PhD, co-director of the UCLA Parenting and Children’s Friendship Program, an outpatient clinic of the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior. Even for older teens, some level of supervision is both appropriate and desirable. "Allowing independence doesn’t mean you shouldn’t monitor your children," says Dr. Frankel. "Setting up rules for teens, such as making sure they tell you where they’re going to be and that they call you anytime their location changes, is appropriate."

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
Weird ways to consume alcohol have been popping up on social media and YouTube -- and are enough to make any college counselor or parent’s heart skip ...
How can I keep my marriage happy when our kids take up so much of our time?
Hal RunkelHal Runkel
Did you notice that you said your kids “take so much of our time”? Let’s rephrase that: You are givi...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Tips for Time-Outs That Work
Tips for Time-Outs That Work