How can I help my child control his urges?

If your child is between five and nine years old, tell him you want to talk to him about the “Urge Monster.” If he is older, you can talk more straightforwardly about uncontrollable urges. You can share with him some of your own urges as an example. Tell your child that everyone has an Urge Monster and that it is important to feed the monster but to not let it control you. Ask your child to talk about some of his urges, and then brainstorm with him to find ways to feed and control the Urge Monster without getting into trouble.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Ways to Prevent Medication Errors at Home
1. Never give your child any kind of aspirin (not even baby aspirin, which is not for babies). I cannot stress this enough. Aspirin can cause Reye's s...
How can parents help if their child is admitted to the hospital?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Parents can do the following when their child is admitted to the hospital: Supply medical histor...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Oz Reveals Tomika’s Car Makeover
Dr. Oz Reveals Tomika’s Car Makeover