How can I help my child be resilient?

As a parent you have the opportunity to build the confidence of your child and help him with the goal of becoming more resilient. A few ways your child could work towards this goal are:

• Feeling good about himself; having a healthy self-esteem and knowing his strengths and weaknesses
  • Having a sense of belonging, both at home and at school
  • Being involved in the community through sports, art, drama, music, or religious groups
  • Learning that it’s okay to fail and try again but not to give up
  • Understanding that temporary situations won’t take over his life; learning to find the positive in negatives
  • Developing empathy, understanding, and tolerance for others
  • Learning how to set goals, organize, and work well with others

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Deal with Toddler Tantrums
How to Deal with Toddler Tantrums
No question that tantrums (especially the public ones) can be some of the most frustrating times we have as parents and grandparents. The easiest thin...
How can I help change my child's boastful behavior?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
When parents ask me for advice on how to change their children’s boastful ways, I often recommen...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Heidi Describes Why She Made Over Her Minivan