How can I help my child be resilient?

As a parent you have the opportunity to build the confidence of your child and help him with the goal of becoming more resilient. A few ways your child could work towards this goal are:

• Feeling good about himself; having a healthy self-esteem and knowing his strengths and weaknesses
  • Having a sense of belonging, both at home and at school
  • Being involved in the community through sports, art, drama, music, or religious groups
  • Learning that it’s okay to fail and try again but not to give up
  • Understanding that temporary situations won’t take over his life; learning to find the positive in negatives
  • Developing empathy, understanding, and tolerance for others
  • Learning how to set goals, organize, and work well with others

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Ways to Prevent Medication Errors at Home
1. Never give your child any kind of aspirin (not even baby aspirin, which is not for babies). I cannot stress this enough. Aspirin can cause Reye's s...
What signs of online narcissism should I look for in my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If there is a growing narcissistic streak among teens and young adults, let’s not put all the blame ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
7 Ways to Help Kids Sleep Better
7 Ways to Help Kids Sleep Better