How should I discipline my child or grandchild?

Erik Fisher
Many people equate the word discipline with punishment. The root of the word "discipline" is disciple. The word disciple means to teach. Teaching comes with boundaries, limits and goals, and as a teacher, I know that people do not learn very well in a state of fear. They may learn to avoid, but they do not learn concepts as well as they do when they feel involved and empowered. Here is another point to consider, how many times did it take for you to try to tie your shoes before you could tie them with your eyes closed? -- Probably about 100 times and likely more. As humans, we are meant to learn over time and repetition is important.

Allow your children to learn by absorbing knowledge through experience and repetition. It is true that some lessons (not playing near the street, not taking drugs or getting into household chemicals…) are survival-based and need to be learned quickly. For those lessons, prepare them for them and discuss risks in advance, while doing what you can to prevent them from being exposed to these situations too early in life.

Continue Learning about Parenting

No, You Shouldn’t Force Your Kids to Hug Anyone
In the world of #MeToo and accusations of sexual harassment, we should all take a hard look at the emotionally-charged issue of physical touch and con...
How can I stay educated about my child's digital world?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keeping abreast with what is new in technology and what our kids are into will certainly increas...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
7 Ways to Help Kids Sleep Better
7 Ways to Help Kids Sleep Better