How can I help my child express her feelings about moving to a new place?

Michele Borba
If your child doesn't share her feelings about moving to a new home and neighborhood, you can help her recognize how she feels about the move:

"You must be feeling lonely and miss your old group." "I can you're worried." It's tough to join a new team when you don't any of the kids."

Let her know such feelings are normal. Even if your kid won't talk to you -- keep talking to her. "Is there anything I can do to make you feel more comfortable?" "Do the kids wear or have anything different from the kids back home? Do you need anything?" "Would you like me to talk to your teacher?" Be patient and understanding.

Stress to your child that adjustment takes a while.

You might encourage him to write his feelings about the move on paper, put them in a jar and then bury them out back as a time capsule to dig it up to read a year or two from now to realize things really have improved.

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
Weird ways to consume alcohol have been popping up on social media and YouTube -- and are enough to make any college counselor or parent’s heart skip ...
Should I set rules to help my child become ethical?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Experts find that parents who raise moral kids expect their kids to act morally, even demand tha...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
A Car Makeover to Get You Organized
A Car Makeover to Get You Organized