How can I help my child feel more comfortable with who he is?

I find that the kids who seem to be the most comfortable in their own skin also have consistently good habits. Their established routines help them understand what is expected of them while letting them know what choices they have in their lives. This feeling of familiarity brings children a sense of comfort and allows them to feel as though they have some control over their environment and their lives, which is key. It’s like having an internal navigation system—they can easily find their way around their world without feeling lost or out of control.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Your Parenting Style Is Important
Your Parenting Style Is Important
Iman Shumpert, the Cleveland Cavaliers interestingly-coifed forward, has his own playing style. And he uses it to help create a smooth-working offense...
How can helicopter parenting damage a child?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
How can helicopter parenting damage a child? Helicopter parenting is the term given to mothers and ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Smart Discipline: Alternatives to Spanking Your Child