How can I help change my child's boastful behavior?

Michele Borba
When parents ask me for advice on how to change their children’s boastful ways, I often recommend these key strategies:
  • Uncover the source of the arrogant attitude. Does your daughter feel that she has to get straight A’s or win a trophy or award to gain your approval or love? Is your son constantly trying to impress his friends because deep down he feels inadequate? Getting to the root of your child’s problem will help you make the necessary changes to find effective solutions.
  • Help kids recognize the impact their attitude has on others. Foster empathy and a healthy perspective with role-playing, pointing out nonverbal reactions and asking how your child would feel if he were in the other person’s shoes.
  • Focus more on character, not just performance. Do you stress personal accomplishments (grades, athletic strength, awards, etc.) over character traits (kindness, intelligence, patience, etc.)? Help your child to be more understanding and accepting of her own strengths and weaknesses.
  • Acknowledge others’ accomplishments. Encourage your child to look for the good in others and to make frequent efforts to compliment peers on their particular skills, strengths or talents.
  • Reinforce humility and acts of kindness. Temper boasting and bragging by commending personal displays of humility, kindness and generosity toward others. Also, remind your child to say thank you after someone compliments him.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Keep Out! Five Foods to Ban from Your Kid's Lunch Box
More and more parents are reverting to packing lunches until school cafeterias clean up their junk-food acts -- but here's the catch: It's easy to sab...
What are the top issues for raising an only child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Every child needs a boost in some area regardless of family size so singletons are no different than...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Can I Get My Kids to Eat Low-Fat Dairy Foods?