How can I help my kids choose a charity project?

Michele Borba
Help your kids choose something they’re good at as well as enjoy doing. For instance: If he enjoys reading: read letters for the blind. If she enjoys writing: be a pen pal to an overseas orphan. If he loves sports: volunteer for the Special Olympics. If she enjoys knitting: knit a beanie for a soldier. A 2009 survey by Harris Interactive finds that the most popular community service projects among tweets and teens are: helping children in need; advocating for the environment; and supporting homeless people. Match your teen’s interests to that project!

Continue Learning about Parenting

3 Steps to Better Parenting and Happier Kids
What do Haley Mills and Lindsay Lohan have in common? They both played 13-year-old twins—Ms. Mills in 1961 and Ms. Lohan in 1998—who schemed to get th...
How can I teach my kids to be positive?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Negativity can quickly become a habit that is deadly for developing “can do” attitudes. So squel...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Tips for Time-Outs That Work
Tips for Time-Outs That Work