How can I help my child handle new tasks?

Lynne Kenney
Some children are quite resistant to shifts in activity. They become cognitively rigid and have trouble transitioning from one activity to the next. This can result in a tendency to become emotionally overwhelmed and melt down. How can you help your child to experience cognitive flexibility when facing new tasks? Follow the following steps:

1. Prepare your child for the new task. Tell your child the what, when, how and who of the task. Get her used to the whole idea.

2. Engage your child in creating the strategies to achieve and manage the new task. Ask your child what she thinks will help her achieve the task. Develop steps for achievement with your child’s ideas in mind.

3. Review the steps to achieve the new task.

4. Practice the new task with your child.

5. Revise your words and actions based on how your child responds.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Seven Steps to Raising a Lifelong Learner
Encouraging a love of learning is one of the greatest gifts you can give your children. Although your level of involvement will change often -- someti...
Should I be concerned if my child doesn't have many friends?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
In elementary school, children begin selectively choosing their friends. Parents help this process b...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
The Motivation Behind Hit YouTube Series “Fat Dad, Fat Kid”