How can I expect and demand kindness from my child?

Michele Borba
Spell out loudly and clearly your expectation that others must be treated kindly. It sets a standard for your child’s expected conduct and also lets her know in no uncertain terms what you value.

Nancy Eisenberg, author of The Caring Child, found that parents who express their views about hurtful, unkind behavior and then explain why they feel that way tend to have kids who adopt those views.

So state your belief to children again and again and again: “Unkindness is wrong, it’s hurtful, and it will not be tolerated!”

Continue Learning about Parenting

Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
Don’t Let Your Teens Vape
The Breathe Youth Media Awards (formerly Hackademy) are given for smoking in films. In 2015 Bill Murray won for the PG-13 rated St. Vincent, in which ...
How can I set a good moral example for my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Walk your talk. One great question to ask yourself each day is: “If I were the only example my child...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Mom's Depression Boosts Kids' Risk of Childhood Obesity