Should I require my child to write a thank you note for gifts?

Michele Borba
You absolutely should require those thank you notes. For the past decade two professors at the University of California at Davis and Southern Methodist University, have examined the data of several hundred people involved in their gratitude experiments. They had people to keep a journal, writing down five things they were grateful for that had happened to them in the past week for four days a week. Those simple gratitude exercises made those participants feel happier and more optimistic, caused them to sleep better, be less stressed, and to feel less materialistic and more likely to help others. A thank you note follows the same principle.

To maximize the gratitude effect, have your child personally deliver the card or read it over the phone to the recipient.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Parental Negativity Can Cause Childhood Obesity
President Richard Nixon’s VP, Spiro Agnew, called investigative journalists “nattering nabobs of negativism.” But it was the VP who showed up in the n...
How can I make grocery shopping fun for my children?
To make a trip to the supermarket a pleasant experience for everyone, try a couple of different stra...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How to Protect Your Kids From the Dark Web