How do I keep my child safe without being overprotective?

An approach to safety is to always keep your child within reach, not by the apron strings, but by a visual leash. That means you're always keeping an eye on your child, even when you're encouraging exploration and some reasonable amount of risk taking. You're there when she needs you and can monitor situations so that they don't become too risky; at the same time, you're also giving her room to breathe and to develop a sense of independence and self-reliance. If you hover over her every move and don't let her try new things, she'll never attain the sense of mastery that is the basis for healthy self-esteem.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
When Eddie (John C. Reilly) from the animated hit film Sing croons, “Can I get a Happy Meal with big nuggets?” and Johnny (Taron Egerton) the gorilla ...
What do I do when my child is homesick?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Homesickness is normal. It is far more prevalent with younger kids and those who have never been...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?