Why is it hard for my child to adjust to a sleep schedule for school?

There are a few reasons why your child may have a hard time adjusting to a school sleep schedule.

• If you have a teenager, their body clock naturally wants to stay up later and sleep in later so you are really going against nature on that one.

• If your child had a later bedtime over the summer than during than the school year, their sleep pressure (like hunger, but for sleep) is less earlier in the evening rather than later, and going to sleep at their “school year” bedtime will be harder.

• Finally, remember there is always an adjustment period to any big change and it is often pretty painful.

Continue Learning about Parenting

No More Homework!
No More Homework!
I mean, best news ever, right? I have no doubt that it wasn’t just the students celebrating when Texas teacher Brandy Young told her second graders th...
Is sharing a bed bad for my child?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The results of a new study indicate that bed-sharing does not negatively affect cognitive or beh...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Heidi Helps Tomika Clean and Organize Her Minivan