What are the biggest driving distractions for teens?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
It’s no surprise cell phones are a huge distraction that lead to car crashes, especially for inexperienced drivers. In this video, Robin Miller, MD shares other common activities to be cautious of while behind the wheel.
The number one killer of teens is motor accidents and the cellular phone isn't helping. Research reports that teens admit texting is their biggest driving distraction.  What is most troubling is that many teens have admitted to watching their parents text and drive. Texting and driving is a dangerous trend, and it's leading to life-altering injuries and fatalities. 

So what can you do to ensure your teen's safety?
  • Parents lead by example.  Don’t talk on the phone or text when you’re operating a vehicle.
  • Have your teen lock the phone in the trunk or glove compartment. If he/she doesn't store the phone in a safe location then teach him/her the importance of safely pulling off the road and parking the vehicle before responding.
  • Just like getting in the car with someone who has been drinking, the same concept applies to getting in a car with someone who is texting.  Don't do it.  Teach your teen to speak up if he/she is in a car with a texting driver.  Perhaps he/she could offer to text the message so the driver can keep his/her eyes focused on the road. 
  • Sign a pledge along with your teen to not text and drive. 
We can all agree that too many lives have been lost due to the negligence of texting and driving.  Nothing is more important than the gift of life.  No text is worth endangering yourself or another human being.  So no matter how often your phone vibrates when you're operating a vehicle...it can wait

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Where can I find volunteer opportunities for my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Explore your neighborhood: Often the best projects are in your own backyard and research shows that ...
How can I talk to my teenager about staying safe at prom and graduation?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keep an open communication with your teen during these next few weeks. These are the same talks ...
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?