How can I reduce after-school stress for my tween and teen kids?

Michele Borba
To reduce stress for tween and teen kids, the newspaper is a great multi-purpose tool. Most newspapers are written around a 9th grade level (USA Today is at a 5th grade level), and just reading the paper every day can help spark that love of reading and learning. (YES!) 

There’s something for everyone – a crossword to build vocabulary skills, the kids section has games and brain teasers, and calculating stats in the sports section can even help with math skills. The trick here is to find the one section that you think might spark your kid’s interest (even the comics) and then put it right by a healthy snack. Circle an article that you think your teen might enjoy (from Lindsay Lohan or a movie review) and you can use that as conversation bridger to how things are going in your kid’s real world.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

What kind of cell phone should I give my preteen?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
For children aged between 11 and 13 years, choose a cell phone that fits your family's needs, and th...
How can I talk to my teenager about staying safe at prom and graduation?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keep an open communication with your teen during these next few weeks. These are the same talks ...
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule