What should I say if I think my teens are sexually active?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about half of U.S. teens in ninth to twelfth grade have had sexual intercourse. If your children are sexually active, it is most important to make sure they are well-informed about matters of the heart as well as safer sex. Think of the important points that you want to share with your children. Maybe you want them to know that if  they are having sex, your hope is for them to always use protection to prevent pregnancy and reduce the risk of sexually transmitted infections.

You might want them to know that even though you would prefer they wait until they were older, you are here for them if they have questions, concerns, or feelings they want to share. Starting this type of conversation isn't easy. Pick a time when you think your children will be most receptive. Let them know your hunch, without being accusatory, and see what they say. Then share your messages in such a way that your children know without a doubt that you are a source of support, rather than strife.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

How can I reduce the risk for my teen using a cell phone while driving?
There are many ways to reduce teen mobile phone use when driving. Examples include talking with your...
How can I keep my kids safe online?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are my seven cyberspace don’ts from my book, The Big Book of Parenting Solutions you might cons...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?