How can I encourage my child to blog responsibly?

Erik Fisher
As a parent, you can use the blogging experience as a teaching and talking point. Since you can't always be there to manage your kids' choices, use their blogging as a way to help them express themselves responsibly. Take a look at some of the blogs out there with your kids. Look at informational blogs, educational blogs, and even the less "productive" blogs -- i.e., personal rants. Talk about these with your kids and help them to understand the ins and outs of productive communication.

If you do blogging yourself, allow your child to take a look at what you write. This will help you become a model for internet accountability. Be willing to live by the same rules you ask your kids to live by. If you demonstrate poor judgment, you have very little room when guiding your child's behaviors. So become a better blogger, and watch your child follow your lead.

If and when your child explores blogging, be proactive and get educated. The more you know about this medium, the better you can guide your child to make safe choices.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Where can I find volunteer opportunities for my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Explore your neighborhood: Often the best projects are in your own backyard and research shows that ...
Why should both parents be consistent when disciplining a teen?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
All parents within the household must agree on and be actively involved in the disciplinary process....
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?