How can I get my toddler to give up the pacifier?

If you’re really sick of it, go for it and decide to spend your precious parental effort, time and sanity on an "eliminate the binky” plan. What worked for us with our oldest (when we still had the time and energy to fight this particular battle) was to, first, have a conversation about it: "Now that you’re two years old, you’re big enough to not have the binky except for in your crib. The binky stays in the crib, now for sleep only." Expect protests, and try to have a substitute ready that might (reluctantly) be accepted (blanket, stuffed animal). Then phase out binky over a week or so, explaining that “You’re big enough now without it, here’s your (blanket, animal) instead."

Stick with the program. Sympathize mightily with the feelings of hurt over the lost bink, but make a huge deal out of, “Now that you’re such a big boy without a binky, look at all the cool things you can do now! Only babies have a binky.” Once it’s over, it’ll probably be over.

Continue Learning about Parenting a Toddler

How can I handle a toddler who disobeys?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Toddlers are really in a mini-adolescence. They are struggling mightily with how to act. Whom to be...
How can I help my young child cope with moving to a new home?
When children are younger, they are basically still tied to their parents, as their anchor in the wo...
What Are the Best Methods for Disciplining a Toddler?
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums