What role do families play in our lives?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Families are the ultimate relationship arena. It is here that we experience our first, deepest, most complex, and sometimes most painful interactions. In spite of the inevitable dysfunction that exists in all families, they generate a certain intimacy and honesty that we rarely encounter elsewhere. There is permanence to families - even broken ones. They remain a part of our lives on a fundamental level, regardless of the passage of time or the distance between members.

One of the most noticeable things about familial relationships is that while the definition of the role stays the same (once a daughter, sister, or mother, we are always that), its meaning in our life changes as we change. We gain or relinquish responsibilities as dependent, caregiver, partner, or even adversary. As we grow from child to adult, spouse to parent, who we are is characterized by our place in the family.

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

How do I talk to my child about their emotions?
Catherine Mogil, PsyDCatherine Mogil, PsyD
You can begin talking to your kids about their emotions by talking about four basic feelings: mad, s...
What is empty nest syndrome?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Empty Nest Syndrome is a phrase used to explain the psychological experience of loss when a chil...
How can I get along better with my parents?
If you fight a lot, it helps if you and your parents can give yourselves a timeout similar to the ...
How does my behavior affect my children's behavior?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Your behavior affects your children's behavior because they are listening and learning, whether or n...