Is amebiasis serious?

Symptoms arising from parasitic gastrointestinal infection by Entamoeba histolytica can include abdominal cramping, bloody and/or mucoid diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, flatulence, and fever. Untreated, amebiasis can be deadly, generally as a result of dehydration. Amebiasis can usually be treated relatively easily with oral anti-helminthic medication such as metronidazole. Infective forms of the organisms, called cysts, require an additional luminal agent for eradication. Symptoms suggestive of amebiasis should be evaluated by a qualified healthcare provider immediately.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
What is the rate of incidence for parasitic infections?
There are millions of parasitic infections each year with the rate of incidence and type of infectio...
What is amebiasis?
Amebiasis is a parasitic infection of the gastrointestinal tract caused by a protozoan organism call...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?