What kind of diet do I need to be on if I have pancreatitis?

People who have pancreatitis need to adhere to a low-fat diet that is high in fiber and water and has reduced amounts of caffeine. It is best to eat small, light meals throughout the day, especially if you are recovering from a recent attack of pancreatitis

Depending on the damage done to your pancreas and your body's ability to make certain enzymes, it may be recommended that you take an enzyme supplement with each meal to aid in digestion and absorption of the nutrients in your food. If you are having difficulty adjusting to a restricted diet, it may be useful to talk to a nutritionist of dietician that can assist you with meal planning and grocery shopping lists.

If you are affected with chronic pancreatitis you are more likely to need a restricted diet than someone who has had one acute attack of pancreatitis. However, whether you are affected by chronic or acute pancreatitis, doctors recommend cutting out all alcohol from your diet.

Continue Learning about Pancreatitis

What is a glucagonoma?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
About 5-10% of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors are glucagonomas, tumors that produce an inappropria...
Is pancreatitis serious?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Pancreatitis can be serious and often requires hospitalization, sometimes even surgery. Acute and ch...
How common is chronic pancreatitis?
Chronic pancreatitis occurs between 1.6 and 23 cases per 100,000 individuals throughout the world. I...
What is the rate of incidence for pancreatitis?
The rate of incidence for pancreatitis each year in the United States is over 300,000 people. Roughl...