What is the benefit of islet transplantation for chronic pancreatitis?

When autologous islet transplantation is successful, the procedure results in patients maintaining normal blood sugar levels without needing insulin.
the procedure is fully successful in one third of patients. “In this group, the cells maintain their natural function, insulin continues to be produced, and patients live both pain-free and diabetes-free.” The durability of success varies, with patients remaining insulin-independent for as little as one year up to 11 years.

In another third of patients, success is moderate. These patients require small amounts of insulin to maintain relatively normal glucose management.

Continue Learning about Pancreatitis

Should I talk to my doctor about my pancreatitis symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about pancreatitis symptoms like severe abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, de...
What are possible complications of pancreatitis?
Complications resulting from pancreatitis can be numerous. Diabetes may develop from pancreatitis be...
What is acute pancreatitis?
Acute pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas that occurs abruptly. It is usually caused by gal...
What is my life expectancy with pancreatitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Life expectancy with chronic pancreatitis may be lower than for people without the condition; resear...