What is pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) therapy?

Pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) therapy is a new approach to pain management that uses magnets to create pulsing, moving energy. PEMF therapy is Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved to fuse bones and has been cleared in certain devices to reduce swelling and joint pain. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) work on the same physics.

This therapy has been used to treat pain and edema in soft tissue for over 60 years. The technology stemmed from radio frequency (RF) diathermy, which utilized a continuous electromagnetic field to produce heat in soft tissue.

A moving -- or resonating -- magnetic field can create currents without heating and thus directly alter cellular signaling. It has been firmly established that tissues including blood, muscle, ligaments, bone and cartilage respond to biophysical input, including electrical and electromagnetic fields. New studies show that with the proper field intensity and frequency, treatment with PEMF appears to be disease-modifying. The stimulation of transforming growth factor beta (TGFB) may be a mechanism by which PEMF favorably affects cartilage homeostasis. Through calcium-calmodulin-dependent pathways, PEMF may also increase nitric oxide activity.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Is Your OTC Pain Reliever Making You Heartless?
The ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is at the heart of the Sandra Bullock/Quinton Aaron film The Blind Side, based on the true story o...
How does physical therapy help treat knee pain?
Spotsylvania Regional Medical CenterSpotsylvania Regional Medical Center
Depending on the individual, physical therapy can help treat knee pain through exercise and physical...
I have a sharp pain under my knee cap, what can I do to stop that?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
The best advice will be to see your physician or orthopedic. When you feel pain, you should stop exe...
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?