What is percutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (PENS)?

Percutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (PENS) therapy uses acupuncture-like needle probes in the soft tissues to stimulate peripheral sensory nerves. PENS may be preferred over TENS in that it delivers the electrical stimulus in closer proximity to the nerve endings located in the soft tissue. This form of analgesic therapy may be useful for those with migraine headache and chronic lower back pain.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Pain, The Opioid Epidemic and How Health Care Has to Improve
Opioid addiction is a national epidemic—and so is chronic pain. Could there be a relationship? 1.  In 2015, 2 million Americans had a substance use d...
Are there alternative treatments for central pain syndrome?
Because trying to find a treatment to relieve the often severe pain is difficult, central pain syndr...
Can I continue taking my medication if I'm having a spinal injection?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
If you are having a spinal injection, you may need to stop taking some of your medication before the...
How Can Changing My Lifestyle Help Ease My Pain?