How safe is anesthesia for children?

Many parents express concern about the risks of anesthesia for their children. Risk is actually quite low when using anesthesia during surgery. Monitoring is more sophisticated than in the past and anesthesiologists are more experienced.

Given today’s safety standards, the life-threatening risks are very, very low. Your child may experience some side effects, which are generally mild, such as being disoriented, agitated or nauseous. Vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness and a sore throat are also pretty common. Most side effects either wear off or are treatable. I’d opt for local anesthesia whenever possible, as it’s the most mild, but it’s often not practical for even minor surgeries on children.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don’t Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent, too!-to avoid critical, common blunders where it matters most: in the ER, pediatrics ward, all-night pharmacy, exam room, or any other medical hot spot for kids. These tips could save your child’s life one day. Even tomorrow." -Dr. Jen Making health care decisions for your child can be overwhelming in this age of instant information. It's easy to feel like you know next to nothing or way too much. Either way, you may resort to guessing instead of making smart choices. That’s why the nation's leading health care oversight group, The Joint Commission, joined forces with Dr. Jennifer Trachtenberg on this book: to help you make the right decisions, whether you're dealing with a checkup or a full-blown crisis. The Smart Parent's Guide will give you the information you need to manage the pediatric health care system. Dr. Jen understands the questions parents face—as a mom, she's faced them herself. She walks you through everything: from how to choose the best ER for kids (not adults) to when to give a kid medicine (or not to) to how pediatricians care for their own children (prepare to be surprised). Her goal is your goal: to protect the health of your children. There simply is nothing more important.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before You Take an Opioid
When Alice (in Wonderland) spied a little glass box, “she opened it and found in it a very small cake, on which the words EAT ME were beautifully mark...
How should I practice visualization to help relieve chronic pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Visualization of ideal movement is difficult for many people with chronic pain conditions. This ...
What is cold laser therapy?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
Cold laser therapy is approved by the FDA for the temporary relief of pain. In this video, chiroprac...
A No-Pill Pain Solution
A No-Pill Pain Solution