How should I treat recurring neck and back pain?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
When a flare-up occurs don't get discouraged because that will only work against you. Your back didn't "go out" so there is no reason to "freak out" or "fear out." You are going to treat a flare-up as if it were simple acute neck or back pain. Depending on the symptoms and recommendations, you will apply ice, heat, medication, rest, or exercise, as warranted. And after you have gotten over one or two of these flare-ups, you will come to realize just how magnificent your spine is and just how wonderfully it seeks to restore itself. As time goes by the frequency of flare-ups will diminish, their intensity will abate, and you'll trust in your spine to respond with all its miraculous recuperative powers.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

How to Exercise Your Pain Away
How to Exercise Your Pain Away
Pain and heart trouble are tangled together. “Silent” heart disease may first show up as unexplained aches and pains that people never mention to thei...
When can I return to work after ACDF surgery?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Return to work when your doctor advises. When you can return to work from anterior cervical disc...
How can orthotic foot inserts help relieve foot pain?
Since your foot has over 26 bones, along with multiple ligaments and tendons, one misstep can ca...
What Can I Use to Ease Sore Muscles and Joints?