How can I tell if I sense pain as well as I should?

Take a needle and close your eyes. Rotate the needle so you don't know which is the blunt side and which is the sharp. Now lightly prick yourself on the foot and see if you can tell which side is which. If you can't, it means you may have lost some of the fast sensory fibers, the slow fibers, or both. This deficiency means that you need to get yourself to the doctor to determine the underlying cause, and prevent further loss of pain sensation.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Pain, The Opioid Epidemic and How Health Care Has to Improve
Opioid addiction is a national epidemic—and so is chronic pain. Could there be a relationship? 1.  In 2015, 2 million Americans had a substance use d...
How much pain will I experience after ACDF surgery?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
After anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) surgery, you may have a sore throat and trouble...
Are complementary bodywork therapies safe and effective to relieve pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Combined with other treatments, acupuncture can help relieve certain chronic pain, with few risks or...
Eat More Salmon to Relieve Pain
Eat More Salmon to Relieve Pain