What causes leg pain?

Leg pain has many causes. "Sciatica" is a common type of leg pain that is caused by nerves being irritated in the spine. That type of pain may involve a sharp shooting sensation or numbness and tingling. Other nerves in the leg can cause nerve pain as well.

There are many other causes of leg pain though. The pain could come from the bone if there is a fracture. It could come from the joints such as in arthritis. Or it could come from the muscle, which may happen in people who have thyroid problems. Sometimes, people can have leg pain if there are problems with the circulation, which is the blood flow through the legs. This is more common in smokers, diabetics, and people with high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

Continue Learning about Pain

Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
More than 126 million U.S. adults reported experiencing pain in the previous three months according to a 2015 study in the Journal of Pain—25.3 millio...
What is claudication?
SCAISCAI
Claudication, or intermittent claudication, is cramping in the leg or leg pain that occurs during ex...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
What Natural Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?