What causes hip pain?

The hip is made up of tendons, ligaments, bone muscle and nerve endings. Many things can cause you to feel hip pain. The most common cause is osteoarthritis. Other causes include:
  • hip bursitis
  • arthritis around the hip
  • avascular necrosis
  • trauma
  • rheumatoid arthritis
  • sciatica
  • herniated disc
Sometimes, groin pain from a hernia is mistaken for hip pain.

Continue Learning about Pain

5 Steps to Less Pain
5 Steps to Less Pain
Chronic pain comes in a variety of forms. Joint pain is a common one. If you suffer from stiff, achy joints, you're not alone. Twenty-seven million Am...
What is the difference between good pain and bad pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Pain avoidance is a natural reaction to avoid a stimulus that is hurting you. The operative premise ...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
What Natural Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?