What is acute pain from exercise?

Eric Olsen
Fitness

The telling characteristics of acute pain are that it is sharp and very localized. You can literally put your finger on acute pain. Acute pain comes from causes other than too much exercise, of course. Drop a frying pan on your toe, for example, and the pain you experience is acute pain. You know precisely where the pain is, and the message is unequivocal: Don't drop another one, or move your foot if you do. Likewise, the athlete who enters the realm of fourth-degree pain that is localized and sharp is in a good position to do something about it by changing routines, resting, and identifying and correcting biomechanical problems.

If acute pain is disregarded too long, though, you enter the realm of chronic pain, the treatment of which is much more complex and involved.

Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Continue Learning about Pain

He Feels, She Feels: How Pain Affects Men and Women Differently
Pain. It’s a fact of life. Burning, stabbing, throbbing, sharp, dull—these are some of the words people use to describe pain. But what exactly is pain...
What is the difference between good and bad muscle pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Quite often I need to educate my clients regarding "good" pain versus "bad" muscle pain. The discomf...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?