How should I talk to my doctor about my pain?

The type of pain you experience can offer clues to its cause. Keep these factors in mind when describing your pain to your doctor.

• Where the pain is located
  • When you first noticed the pain
  • What precipitated the pain
  • How long you have had the pain
  • How long the pain lasts when it comes
  • How often the pain occurs
  • What you do or take that makes it worse
  • What you do or take that makes it better
  • What it feels like - stabbing, throbbing, stinging etc.
  • What other symptoms you have
  • What you think it is
If you are living with serious illness or are simply planning ahead for your own or a loved one's future, having a frank discussion with your doctor is a good idea. Putting things into words, getting more information, and asking questions can help you get the kind of medical treatments you want.

Here are some questions to ask your doctor about managing pain in serious illness and at life's end:
  • Are there deficiencies in pain management for seriously ill hospitalized patients?
  • Where can I get help with pain management?
  • Is this what patients want when facing serious illness? Is this what patients want if they might be at the end of life?
  • What are some of the ways that pain can be treated in a medical or caregiving setting?
  • What are opioids? Aren't opioids bad for a patient? Don't they cause addiction and do more harm than good?

Continue Learning about Pain

What to Give a Child for Pain
What to Give a Child for Pain
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has published a warning against giving the opioid codeine to children in the journal Pediatrics, published in...
How is pain tolerance different between men and women?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Men and women feel pain differently. Research studies consistently show that women are more sens...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
Use a Foam Roller to Stretch Knotted Sore Muscles