Can sinus pressure cause pain in my teeth?

It's true. On top of everything else a sinus infection brings, it can also cause tooth pain. That's because your upper teeth are so close to your sinuses and when they get infected, it can feel like your mouth is infected too. Of course it is possible that the tooth pain is unrelated to your sinus infection, which is why, in addition to consulting a physician, you should also have your dentist to perform an exam to make sure you don't have a cavity or abscess or other oral health problem.

Sinus pressure or infection can indeed cause pain which feels as though it’s coming from teeth. Here are some signs that it’s a sinus problem and not a tooth problem: the pain is only in the upper back teeth, it’s a continuous dull ache and/or tenderness to chewing or biting vs. sensitivity to hot or cold, and you have sinus or nasal congestion on the same side as the tooth pain. In this case try a decongestant nasal spray. If in doubt, see a dentist to examine the painful teeth.

Because the sinuses are close to the upper jaw, a sinus infection -- and the resulting sinus pressure -- can sometimes cause you to feel pain in your teeth. To alleviate the pain, first visit your dentist, who can give you an exam to determine if sinus pressure (rather than a toothache or other issue) is causing discomfort to your jaw joints and teeth. Once you know the cause, you can treat it accordingly, and your pain should subside.

Continue Learning about Pain

Anxious? Neurotic? It May Affect How You Process Pain
Pain is your body’s way of informing you that something’s not quite right. It can be dull or throbbing, aching or tingling. It can be short-term (acut...
How Do I Identify Pre-Pain Symptoms to Avoid Chronic Pain?
How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints
What Are Some Effective Exercises for Chronic Back Pain?