As an older adult, how should I assess my pain before calling my doctor?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
Self-assess your pain before speaking to your doctor. Rate your pain on an ascending scale of 0-10, with zero representing no pain and 10 representing the worst pain possible. You also should document how the pain impacts your daily activities or functions, as this will give your doctor a better idea of how severe and disabling your discomfort is.

Continue Learning about Pain

For the Best Pain Relief, Give Someone a Hug
Some days, all you need to feel better is a giant hug, and science agrees. Research scientists from the University of Colorado Boulder and the Univers...
What is the difference between good and bad muscle pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Quite often I need to educate my clients regarding "good" pain versus "bad" muscle pain. The discomf...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?