How is acceptance of chronic pain different from resignation to pain?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
Don't confuse acceptance with resignation. Acceptance encourages you to make peace with your limitations at the same time that it encourages you to seek out new treatment options to help you reduce your chronic pain. Resignation depletes and depresses you and prevents you from making true peace with your limitations. It may prevent you from even seeking help. Acceptance leads to hope. Resignation leads to hopelessness. Your challenge is to find - and change - the meaning in your pain, even as you seek ways to eliminate and reduce it.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the MindBodySpirit Connection: 7 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functional Bowel Disorder, Crohn's Disease, or Colitis (Mind-Body-Spirit Connection Series.)

Fast Facts on IBS: One in five people suffers from the frustrating symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). There is no simple answer--no pill, potion, or quick fix--that will cure IBS. But help...

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Joint pain and stiffness can be prevented. Watch the video to see what you can do now to preserve fl...
How common is central pain syndrome?
It's hard to say how common central pain syndrome is because it's difficult to diagnose and can be c...
What is rebound tenderness?
Christina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DOChristina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DO
Rebound tenderness (also called the Blumberg Sign) is a nonspecific clinical sign that a doctor may ...
What is the prognosis for arachnoiditis?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Arachnoiditis appears to be a disorder that causes chronic pain and neurological deficits and does n...