How will a pacemaker affect my lifestyle?

Once you have a pacemaker, you have to avoid close or prolonged contact with electrical devices or devices that have strong magnetic fields. Devices that can interfere with a pacemaker include:

• Cell phones and MP3 players (for example, iPods)
  • Household appliances, such as microwave ovens
  • High-tension wires
  • Metal detectors
  • Industrial welders
  • Electrical generators

These devices can disrupt the electrical signaling of your pacemaker and stop it from working properly. You may not be able to tell whether your pacemaker has been affected.

How likely a device is to disrupt your pacemaker depends on how long you're exposed to it and how close it is to your pacemaker.

To be on the safe side, some experts recommend not putting your cell phone or MP3 player in a shirt pocket over your pacemaker (if the devices are turned on).

You may want to hold your cell phone up to the ear that's opposite the site where your pacemaker was implanted. If you strap your MP3 player to your arm while listening to it, put it on the arm that's farther from your pacemaker.

You can still use household appliances, but avoid close and prolonged exposure, as it may interfere with your pacemaker.

You can walk through security system metal detectors at your normal pace. You also can be checked with a metal detector wand as long as it isn't held for too long over your pacemaker site. You should avoid sitting or standing close to a security system metal detector. Notify airport screeners if you have a pacemaker.

This answer from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. William D. Knopf.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

How can I find out if my pacemaker is working properly?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
After pacemaker implantation (surgical insertion of a small device to regulate your heart rhythm), y...
What is an artificial pacemaker?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
An artificial pacemaker is an electronic device that is implanted in the body to monitor heart rate ...
How Have Wireless Implantable Devices Changed Heart Care?
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health