Why do I leak when I sneeze?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Sneezing at the wrong time, such as during a romantic moment, can be embarrassing enough. But if you have problems with bladder control, a simple sneeze can actually make you leak urine. That's because the force of a sneeze puts pressure on the bladder, the organ that stores urine. If the muscles that control your bladder have weakened, all that force may cause urine to leak before you can make it to a bathroom.

There is usually little you can do about sneezing, but your doctor can recommend strategies for strengthening the muscles that control your bladder and to help you avoid embarrassing urine leaks.

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Stress incontinence causes a bit of urine to leak when you sneeze because the bladder shifts position with age, or muscles in the area around the bladder become weak. Stress incontinence becomes more common after menopause. Kegel exercises to strengthen pelvic muscles often help symptoms of stress incontinence.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Veronica and OAB
My Story: Veronica and OAB
Overactive bladder (OAB) can be embarrassing—but you're not alone. In the U.S., over 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year. In this video, Veronica sh...
Is there one definite cause of overactive bladder?
Kimberly L. Burgess, MDKimberly L. Burgess, MD
There is no single cause of an overactive bladder. Overactive bladder is defined as urinary urgency,...
Should I see my doctor if I think I have overactive bladder?
If you have symptoms of overactive bladder, you should talk to your doctor to get a diagnosis. O...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?