Can spinal injuries cause overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
The part of the body that controls bladder and bowel function is actually located within the spinal cord. This is known as the sacral region. When this region is damaged, it can affect the bladder and urinary health. Sacral injuries can lead to symptoms of overactive bladder and other problems. Generally, when such injuries occur, the bladder will not have contractions for several months. These injuries can also cause signals to and from the brain and the urinary tract to be blocked. That could make the bladder push out urine without proper coordination. 

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Brynn and OAB
My Story: Brynn and OAB
People who are affected by overactive bladder (OAB) struggle with frequent and sometimes uncontrollable urges to urinate. In this video, Brynn shares ...
What is overactive bladder?
Ja-Hong Kim, MDJa-Hong Kim, MD
Overactive bladder is a clinical diagnosis that is characterized by the presence of bothersome urina...
Should I see my doctor if I think I have overactive bladder?
If you have symptoms of overactive bladder, you should talk to your doctor to get a diagnosis. O...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?