How effective has Botox been in relieving overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Clinical trials have shown that Botox has been effective in reducing overactive bladder symptoms. The Food and Drug Administration has approved it for that use. In one trial, patients who were treated with Botox experienced a 50 percent improvement. Another study showed an 88 percent improvement in urgency, frequency and incontinence. Patients also reported an improvement in bladder capacity and in their ability to empty the bladder. 

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Veronica and OAB
My Story: Veronica and OAB
Overactive bladder (OAB) can be embarrassing—but you're not alone. In the U.S., over 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year. In this video, Veronica sh...
Is there a connection between overactive bladder and prostate cancer?
Certain treatments for prostate cancer may cause men to develop overactive bladder. One type of canc...
How often should I go to the doctor for a physical examination?
Dr. Talal N. Khan, MDDr. Talal N. Khan, MD
A preventive wellness visit is recommended once a year. It helps keep a relationship with your docto...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?