Does "going before going" help control bladder problems?

Most people find that sticking to a schedule is the only way to manage their daily business. If you're struggling with bladder problems, try applying the same strategy. Simply put: Try peeing on a regular schedule. Don't wait for the urge to hit you suddenly when you're in a meeting or standing in the checkout line at the grocery store. Empty your bladder on a regular basis, and you may find that you experience fewer problems with urine leaks.
Going before going -- or emptying the bladder before feeling the need to urinate -- to try to avoid a trip to the bathroom when it’s less convenient may actually make bladder problems worse. The bladder can get into the habit of going even when you don't really have to.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Veronica and OAB
My Story: Veronica and OAB
Overactive bladder (OAB) can be embarrassing—but you're not alone. In the U.S., over 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year. In this video, Veronica sh...
What is overactive bladder?
Renee E. Cotter, MDRenee E. Cotter, MD
Overactive bladder (OAB) is a common condition where the bladder muscle is overactive and a little b...
Do certain foods worsen overactive bladder?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Certain foods can worsen overactive bladder. Some of the main offenders are acidic and citrus foods ...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?