Should I see my doctor if I think I have overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
If you have symptoms of overactive bladder, you should talk to your doctor to get a diagnosis. Overactive bladder is called a “hidden condition” because many people do not talk about it. They make the mistake of thinking that their symptoms are a normal part of aging, or they are too embarrassed to bring it up. But effective treatments are available. Your doctor will ask certain questions to determine if you have overactive bladder, such as:

• Your general medical history, including any major illnesses or surgeries

• Your specific urinary problem 

• The timeline of your problem, including how often you urinate

• How much fluid you drink

• Whether or not you drink caffeine or alcohol

• Any medications you take

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
Overactive bladder (OAB) affects approximately 33 million Americans, though the number of people suffering from symptoms is thought to be significantl...
What is double voiding?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Double voiding is voiding a second time, 10 to 15 minutes after an initial time. This ensures that t...
How often should I go to the doctor for a physical examination?
Dr. Talal N. Khan, MDDr. Talal N. Khan, MD
A preventive wellness visit is recommended once a year. It helps keep a relationship with your docto...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?