What is a bezoar?

A bezoar is a mass of something that your body cannot break down, or digest. It gets stuck in the stomach or intestinal tract.

A bezoar can be made of many different things. It commonly contains hair or similar fibers, such as from carpet or clothing.

Another type of bezoar consists of the parts of plant material that cannot be dissolved by the body, such as fibers from celery, prunes or sunflower seeds.

A third type forms from parts of medicines.

A bezoar is a mixture of material in the stomach or intestines. Bezoars are formed when people swallow hair, medications, fabric, plastic bags, or food. These materials can get caught in the stomach or digestive tract and form a bezoar. Bezoars are usually harmless and pass through the body on their own.

Continue Learning about Other Health Topics

What is comorbidity?
Arif A. Karim, MDArif A. Karim, MD
Comorbidity is having two disorders at the same time that are linked -- usually a mental health issu...
How do I start an exercise program for a medically unexplained syndrome?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
To start a pain management exercise program, first visit your doctor to make sure you are ready for ...
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?
Can My Dog's Bad Habits Make Me Sick?
Can My Dog's Bad Habits Make Me Sick?