How can the TV remote control cause infection?

A study found that one of the most germ-infested things in a hospital room is—would you believe it?—the TV remote control. When tested, the TV remotes had more than three times as much bacteria as the hospital room doorknobs, the nurse call button, and the tray table—and many of those bugs were lethal killers. And you thought the TV could just bore you to death.

So how can you protect yourself? Ask for a disposable remote control meant for short use. The study found that they were far cleaner, so grab one of them if there's a choice. You can also clean the remote control with small dabs of the disinfectant gel and wear rubber gloves while you handle it.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Other Health Topics

What is comorbidity?
Comorbidity is the term used when two or more illnesses occur in a single person. These conditions c...
What illnesses can my pet give me?
The trouble with pets is that they can bring the worst of outside indoors. In this video, Dr. Oz a...
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?
Can My Dog's Bad Habits Make Me Sick?
Can My Dog's Bad Habits Make Me Sick?