What does an orthodontic chin cup treat?

An orthodontic chin cup is used to treat an under bite in children. An under bite is a condition in which the lower teeth are positioned in front of the upper teeth, similar to a bulldog's bite. Dentists call this a Class III growth pattern. When the under bite is due to a faster-than-normal-growing lower jaw a chin cup or chin sling may be recommended.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
What is an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who first became a general dentist (usually 4 years of traini...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...