What is malocclusion of the teeth?

Dan Jenkins
Dentist
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold the teeth. There are studies that point to allergies being responsible by triggering breathing and swallowing problems what would normally stimulate proper development of the jaws. Another possible issue is the consumption of sugars that prevent the teeth from properly coming into the mouth high enough to give enough height to the mouth -- thus, not giving enough room for the tongue. This can lead to malocclusion and even obstructive sleep apnea.

Thus, if you or your child has been told by your dentist that there is a malocclusion issue -- you should seriously have it checked out. Orthodontics, (literally, straight-teeth), is not just for looks -- it is for function and for more than just teeth!
Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Malocclusion, teeth that are crooked or crowded, is often an inherited condition. Because it usually runs in families, if you have a family history of it, you especially make a prime candidate for getting your child into the orthodontist for early exams and treatment.

Malocclusion, or bad bite, is a condition in which the teeth are crowded, crooked or out of alignment, or the jaws don't meet properly. This condition may become particularly noticeable between the ages of six and 12, when the adult or permanent teeth are erupting.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

When shopping for braces, what should I ask?
There are many questions you should ask before purchasing an orthodontic treatment plan, such as the...
How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...