What could happen to my teeth if I do not get a clear plastic retainer?

Not getting a clear plastic dental retainer, especially after having worn braces, is risky because there’s the possibility that your teeth may shift back to their former positions. This could make your investment of time and money in braces a waste. Often, the soft and hard tissues around your teeth have not had a chance to remodel. Even though your teeth appear to be straight, they can quickly move back and become misaligned again.

For the best possible outcome, wearing a retainer is usually recommended.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontic braces made of?
Orthodontic braces are made of non-magnetized materials of different types, including plastic, metal...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
Should I eat differently if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of co...
Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...